Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Zero Waste Food Challenge Wrap-Up

We have finished our zero food waste challenge, although I am hoping we can keep going in that vein. We threw out about a fifth of a loaf of bread that got moldy this morning, which was sad (it was awesome bread). But we threw out very little produce this week, and ate all leftovers, which I count as a success. The children gained some mindfulness about wasting food, too-- appealing to their competitive natures often really helps us to make some good changes. I'll wait a few weeks, and then we'll do it again. Later this week, we'll bake a special dessert to celebrate, and both big kids will ensure that not a bit of batter nor a single crumb gets wasted.
This was helpful for me in that I did a much better job thinking about leftovers and how to use the food I had available. I planned the meals for the week after getting our farm share, and while I did flex quite a bit on my original meal plan, I flexed in a way that didn't involve any last minute trips to the store. We didn't use one head of pak choi, but I prepped it and put it in the freezer, where I will likely use it the next time I make soup (we put the other head in a the chicken tortilla soup we made last night, which was delicious).

3 comments:

  1. I loved reading about your zero waste food challenge! We've been trying hard not to waste any food around here, too, but we haven't made it an actual challenge yet. We have trouble with picky eaters here and I can't get my youngest to eat any veggies other than peas and carrots for the life of me. Do you share recipes? Your meals sound delicious! We get part of a share from a local farm and are getting some greens and things we don't really know what to do with other than salad or stirfry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to share recipes-- just let me know what you want.
    Getting reasonable nutrition into everyone is such a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will put in a request for the kale chips recipe please. And anything else that your kids will eat that has green stuff in it. (I saw the arugala or however you spell it pesto recipe on here.) But no rush at all since I know you're busy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete