Sunday, June 26, 2011

Gillyweed Burritos

My big list of ways to try to elicit interest in food:

  1. kids help prepare it
  2. kids help grow it or select it
  3. we call it a "_________ Bar" and act like there are cool and optional things about it. This is often really successful, actually. Burrito bar, sandwich bar, pasta bar....kale bar.
  4. we give it a clever name
  5. bribery.  
This meal involves  4 and 5. And yet was not an especial success, although Ben and I love it-- super easy and very tasty. I think if Rachel would actually make a reasonable effort to try it, she would like it... because who can resist the siren song of so much cheese?

Spinach-Cheese Burritos, from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers: Fresh Ideas for the Weeknight Table

My adaptations:

I use a mixture of greens when fresh are available-- I have used all kale before, without any issues. Just make sure you cook the greens longer than the directions indicate if you are using a tougher green (or, add the greens in order, starting with the tougher ones and adding spinach toward the end). When fresh greens aren't available, I have used frozen (thawing and squeezing out the water before cooking). I have used regular or sweet onions in place of the scallions. I use reduced fat cream cheese and usually cut the Monterrey jack cheese, too, by at least 2 oz and sometimes more. We use whole-wheat tortillas.

For the hot sauce, I have grilled the pepper and onion outside and then chilled until I was ready to prepare the sauce-- and we add at least one jalapeno, which we usually roast, too.




    No comments:

    Post a Comment